Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Do Work.

Think about all the things you have accomplished in your life. Now think about all the lessons you have learned. What were you doing while learning those lessons? Were you out with your friends watching a movie? Were you on Facebook? Maybe you were sleeping? Those probably weren't the right answers. The way you learned the most important lessons in life was most likely from hard work. Lately, it seems like our society is less focused on hard work and on getting back as much as you give. There is a larger emphasis on instant gratification, and many people are not being taught the true value of hard work. Children need to be taught how to work hard.

Families are brought closer together through work. Some of my favorite memories are of my family working together in the garden, or working together while canning, or doing the Saturday chores together. It really may not sound super exciting, but these moments of work gave us some great time to talk and laugh and sing. We were able to catch up with what was going on in everyone's lives. I especially enjoyed these times because they gave me an opportunity to see the benefits of working hard, and the products of our hard work. We were able to watch our garden grow, and eventually eat the vegetables that came from it. We were able to live off of the food that we canned for the rest of the year until we canned the next year. We were able to live in a clean home and feel the peace that comes with that. I will always remember those times.

Work improves lives. When I look back at what I've accomplished in my life and at the moments where I can see the most growth, I also can see the most work. One of the hardest things I have ever done was when I was asked to be a manager at a little burger joint called Sundaes Eats and Treats. That job took me way, way out of my comfort zone. I had to do things that I had never done before and assume a position that I had never assumed before. This job pushed me and pulled me and stretched me in so many ways I would never have experienced without it. There were many days where I did not enjoy myself in the least, where I was extremely uncomfortable, but looking back I would never take that experience away. I am more confident because of it. I have better people skills. I know more about business. I learned to take initiative. I learned to persevere. I learned to take chances. I do have a special little spot in my heart for that ice cream shop. But I can tell you right now, I was glad to move on with my life. I was excited to move on to the next challenge that life would bring.

How a person works can tell you a lot about them. Sam Ewing said, "Hard work spotlights the character of people: Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." I was surprised when I came to college and realized that some people don't know how to sweep a floor or wash a counter or scrub a toilet. I want my children to have those skills so they are ready to leave the house when it is time.

Hard work gives a sense of accomplishment and worth. I've especially noticed at college that when I do not put in the work and do my best on an assignment, I usually end up feeling silly and disappointed with myself. On the flip side, when I work my hardest on a paper, and turn it in and get a great grade on it, I feel so fulfilled. Also, I kind of like writing papers (call me crazy).

I will forever be thankful to my parents for teaching me how to work, and the value of my hard work. It would have been so easy for them to do the work themselves at times, but they helped me help. They taught me that work is fun. They taught me through their example. When they told me to clean the kitchen, they were there right alongside me, up to their elbows, scrubbing away. When my dad told me to mow the lawn he was out there close by, tilling the garden. My parents are some of the hardest workers I know. They taught theys chillins good.

So work hard, and see what comes of it.

Also, P.S., I love Hunter Hayes. So here's one of my favorite songs by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment